Working nights as a Paramedic in a fast paced environment, you’ve really got to be ready for anything. One day, “anything” happened to be a large male that overdosed on prescription Valium and was well on his way to respiratory arrest. To make matters worse, the power was out in his home, and not one firefighter or police officer on scene had a decent flashlight. We were quickly running out of time before our patient would be in a full respiratory arrest and we would have an even bigger problem on our hands.
Luckily, a coworker had introduced me to SureFire flashlights after seeing me carry around the infamous and bulky light I’d been issued that was rarely reliable and never bright enough. I reached back past the pager on my belt, deployed my SureFire E2D LED Defender®, and lit the entire room up by shinning it straight up at the white ceiling. With our new, reliable light source, we were able to intubate our patient and start an I.V. to administer the necessary drugs to save the man’s life. We quickly loaded him onto the stretcher and moved him out of the house while ventilating with one hand and using the SureFire to guide our way out. We eventually made it to the hospital with no further incident, and our patient made a full recovery.
Thanks, SureFire, for saving the day.